• UmmSafura's Avatar Topic Author
  • Asghar Boarder
  • Asghar Boarder
More
6 years 3 months ago #2440 by UmmSafura
Owais Al-Hashimi's Advice To Us was created by UmmSafura
السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته
From: Umm Safura b. As-Sa'adiyyah ام صفورا السلفــــية إقرا بنت العجاز
There were brothers and sister's requesting Du'aa from one another, then our brother Owais Al-Hashimi advised us with a beneficial reminder which I believe will benefit us all - this advice was given on the 6th of April, 2014 - this was during the time our beloved Shaykh Zayd Al-Madkhaali passed away - Rahimahullaah -

Owais Al Hashimi:
[/b][/b]

"First, let us remember to distinguish between:
(a) asking others to make du'a for oneself, and
(b) asking others to make du'a for someone else.

Scholars like Ibn Uthaymin -Allah have mercy on him - have explained that the rule is you do not ask others to make du'a for you, except under certain circumstances with certain conditions which he says must be considered. The reason is it goes against one of the points on the basis of which the Prophet - Allah's peace and blessings be upon him - took bay'ah from some of his Companions, i.e. to not ask anyone for anything. This is the lofty state of reliance upon Allah and not putting oneself - even in appearance -in the lower position of seeking things from others, as we should be with Allah, begging Him and asking Him for everything we want. (Note that this is not the same as asking someone else to make du'a for a third party in which case you are encouraging others to worship Allah and care for other Muslims).
Shaykh Ibn Uthaymin mentions that with certain conditions and considerations, you might ask someone else to make du'a for you. These are:
  1. You do so with the intention of benefiting the person you ask, not for him to grant you something, i.e.by making du'a for you he is doing an act of worship for which he can be rewarded by Allah. Ibn Uthaymin cites Ibn Taymiyah on this.

2. You do not lower yourself like you should when you ask Allah

3. You take into consideration the condition of the one you are asking: if you fear he may become deluded by your request into thinking he is a great person, becoming arrogant or conceited, then you must not ask him.

4. You take into consideration the condition of the people around. If you fear they might think or their existing belief about a person having some special powers or being an infallable walee of Allah or the likes will be reinforced by you asking him to make du'a, then you must not ask him.

In short, because of the negatives involved, one would do well to not ask anyone to make du'a for oneself in the first place, but if it is done it is done with the above things in mind.

BTW, in the class following the death of Shaykh Zayd - Allah have mercy on him - our shaykh Shaykh Rabee' took the time before starting the lesson to tell everyone to make du'a for Shaykh Zayd, stating he was one of the mountains of Sunnah."

Abū Abdillah Owais Al-Hashimi
References:

"The summary is based on numerous answers from Shaykh Ibn Uthaymin and his commentary of hadith #717 in Sharḥ Riyadh Al-Salihin. The reference for Ibn Taymiyah's advice on this is from his Al-Qa'idah Al-Jalilah fi Al-Tawassul wa Al-Wasilah. Al-Shaitibi also cites the dislike of someof the Sahabah that people ask them to make du'a for them, for some of the reasons given above, in his Al-I'tisam. I haven't had time to collate all the references."
All praise belongs to Allāh may His peace and blessings be upon our final
Prophet Muhammad , his family, his companions and all those who follow his
guidance.

Subhānak Allāhumma wa bihamdika ash-hadu anlā illāha illa anta Astaghfirukā wa atubu ilayk
If I said anything correct, then it is from Allāh (subhānahu wa ta'āla), and if I erred, then that is from me and Shaytān.

Shurayh an-Nakha'i said: My wife died before me. I wish she could take from my life or that we died together. I have seen how men hit their wives. May my hand be paralysed if my hand hits Zaynab. |al-Ahkam 1/462|
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wafa Assalafiyyah

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.187 seconds

RT @abu_sufyaan: Benefit from today’s Adab al-Mufrad lesson @troidorg Allah’s Messenger (ﷺ) said: “Your Lord, the Blessed and Most High, is…

troid.org troid.org