• Maʿrūf Boarder
More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #251 by h_elsharif
NOTES: Aqīdah Course was created by h_elsharif
Aqīdah: Kitaab at-Tawḥīd: ch.1-6
Week 1
Class #01

Notes/Highlights from Aqīdah Class #1
Disclaimer: These are highlights from Aqīdah Class #1 from what I was able to gain from the class. The notes are not perfect (and are not a replacement for participating in the course and taking your own notes), and there is no guarantee that these notes cover all material that will be on the exams. If anyone notices any mistakes please let me know. The translation of ḥadīth from Bukhari are from Sahih Al-Bukhari: The Book of Tawḥīd ,Translation by Muhammad Muhsin as found on the University of South Carolina' s website ( www.usc.edu )

Knowledge is rahmah (mercy) from beginning to end; its aquisition, application, teaching to others, etc. is all mercy.
It is common that when scholars of ḥadīth are teaching, the first ḥadīth they teach in there lesson is:
"Allaah will have mercy on those who have mercy on others, have mercy on the ones on the earth and the One above the heavens will have mercy on you."
(It is referred to by the scholars as "al-musalsal bil-awwaliyyah" meaning the first ḥadīth a teacher would narrate (with its chain) to his student.)
And with regards to seeking knowledge then:
"Whoever Allaah wants good for, then He gives him understanding of the religion."

---

This is a class on aqīdah (Islamic creed) and we take our aqīdah from [Qur'aan and Sunnah, upon the understanding of] the Salaf-us-Ṣāliḥ.
Scholars of ḥadīth have compiled aḥādīth related to aqīdah and from amongst those scholars is Imām al-Bukhari, raḥimahullāh.

---

Imām al Bukhari (died 256AH)
Muhammad ibn Ismaeel al Bukhari
"Ameerul-Mu'mineen" in Ḥadīth
At-Tirmidhī (a student of Bukhari) said that he had not seen in all of Iraq or Khurusaan someone more knowledgeable regarding the defects of ḥadīth (and other ḥadīth related sciences) than Bukhari.

Other scholars mentioned that the "Memorizers in the Dunyaa are four: Bukhari, Muslim, Abū Hatim ar-Raazi, and ad-Daarimee"

Bukhari traveled greatly to collect ḥadīth of the Messenger of Allaah, ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam.
Bukhari: "I took from 1,080 people, and each was a companion of ḥadīth."
The story of the famous testing of Bukhari's sharp memory of ḥadīth and their correct chains in Baghdad was mentioned

---

Sahih al Bukhari
Al Jaami, al-Musnad, As-Ṣaḥīh, Al-Mukhtasشr
(Comprehensive, Connected chains of ḥadīth, Authentic, Summarized Collection of Ḥadīth)

Explanations of Sahih al-Bukhari:
From Imam al-Khattaabi (died about 100 years after Bukhari) [died 388AH]: "A'laam al-Ḥadīth"
From Ibn Hajr al-Asqalani (died 852AH): "Fat-hul-Baaree"
---
We are studying the last Book in Sahih al-Bukhari called "Kitaab at-Tawḥīd" which some manuscripts call "Kitaab at-Tawḥīd... (and the refutation of the Jahmiyyah)"
This Book affirms the Tawḥīd of Allaah (to single out Allaah for all worship)
And refutes the false beliefs of the Jahmiyyah who deny the Names and Attributes of Allaah and deny the meaning of His Names.
---
Ḥadīth #7371 & #7372
Narrated Ibn Abbas:
When the Prophet sent Muadh to Yemen, he said to him, "You are going to a nation from the people of the
Scripture, so let the first thing to which you will invite them, be the Tauhid of Allah. If they learn that, tell them that
Allah has enjoined on them, five prayers to be offered in one day and one night. And if they pray, tell them that
Allah has enjoined on them Zakat of their properties and it is to be taken from the rich among them and given to
the poor. And if they agree to that, then take from them Zakat but avoid the best property of the people."

- The foundation,beginning, and first priority of daw'ah is Tawḥīd, singling out Allaah, subhaanahu wa ta 'alaa, for all worship and freeing oneself completely from shirk (giving any part of worship to other than Allaah).
- Then the next priority after Tawḥīd is accepted is Salah, then Zakah, etc...
- To call to and establish Tawḥīd is why all the Messengers were sent

---
Ḥadīth #7373
Narrated Mu'adh bin Jabal:
The Prophet said, "O Mu'adh! Do you know what Allah's Right upon His slaves is?" I said, "Allah and His Apostle
know best." The Prophet said, "To worship Him (Allah) Alone and to join none in worship with Him (Allah). Do you
know what their right upon Him is?" I replied, "Allah and His Apostle know best." The Prophet said, "Not to punish
them (if they do so)."

- The high status of tawḥīd; it will save the person from Allaah's punishment
---
Ḥadīth:
Narrated Abū Said Al-Khudri:
A man heard another man reciting (in the prayers): 'Say (O Muhammad): "He is Allah, the One." (112.1) And he
recited it repeatedly. When it was morning, he went to the Prophet and informed him about that as if he
considered that the recitation of that Sura by itself was not enough. Allah's Apostle said, "By Him in Whose Hand
my life is, it is equal to one-third of the Quran."

Ḥadīth:
Narrated 'Aisha:
The Prophet sent (an army unit) under the command of a man who used to lead his companions in the prayers
and would finish his recitation with (the Sura 112): 'Say (O Muhammad): "He is Allah, the One." ' (112.1) When
they returned (from the battle), they mentioned that to the Prophet. He said (to them), "Ask him why he does so."
They asked him and he said, "I do so because it mentions the qualities of the Beneficent and I love to recite it (in
my prayer)." The Prophet; said (to them), "Tell him that Allah loves him."

- Sūrah al-Ikhlaas (Sūrah 112), is about tawḥīd from beginning to end
- A companion expresses his love for Allaah and this Sūrah and he earned the love of Allaah
- To love to hear and learn about Allaah, azza wa jal, and His perfect Attributes is a means to earn Allaah's love

---
Ḥadīth
Narrated Jarir bin 'Abdullah:
Allah's Apostle said, "Allah will not be merciful to those who are not merciful to mankind."

-The opposite meaning is also true: Allaah will be merciful to those who are merciful to mankind.
- A refutation of the [Jahmiyyah, Mu'tazilah, and] Ash'arees (who exist in our times) who falsely claim that Allaah does not have the Attribute of Rahmah (Mercy).
They claim:
"Allaah does not have Mercy." or,
"Allaah has 'Mercy' but it has no meaning." or,
[Ash'arees:]" 'Mercy' refers to the 'intent to reward someone'."
The Ash'arees claim that having mercy is a weakness because it necessitates that the one possessing it have weak and wavering desires, sympathy, and emotions towards someone.
The Ash'aree's claim cannot be accepted by anyone of sound judgment.
Just like with all of Allaah's Names and Attributes, they are perfect and without defect, and are not like the attributes of His creation. We affirm His Names and Attributes, and they are His in a manner befitting His Majesty, and we (Ahl al-Sunnah wal-Jamaah) do not distort or deny His Names and Attributes, and we do not say that they are similar to the attributes of the creation.

---
Ḥadīth
Narrated Usama bin Zaid:
We were with the Prophet when suddenly there came to him a messenger from one of his daughters who was
asking him to come and see her son who was dying. The Prophet said (to the messenger), "Go back and tell her
that whatever Allah takes is His, and whatever He gives is His, and everything with Him has a limited fixed term
(in this world). So order her to be patient and hope for Allah's reward." But she sent the messenger to the
Prophet again, swearing that he should come to her. So the Prophets got up, and so did Sa'd bin 'Ubada and
Mu'adh bin Jabal (and went to her). When the child was brought to the Prophet his breath was disturbed in his
chest as if it were in a water skin. On that the eyes of the Prophet . became flooded with tears, whereupon Sa'd
said to him, "O Allah's Apostle! What is this?" The Prophet said, "This is mercy which Allah has put in the heart of
His slaves, and Allah bestows His mercy only on those of His slaves who are merciful (to others)." (See Hadith
No. 373, Vol. 2)

---
Ḥadīth
Narrated Abū Musa Al-Ashari:
The Prophet said, "None is more patient than Allah against the harmful and annoying words He hears (from the
people): They ascribe children to Him, yet He bestows upon them health and provision .

-Allaah is the Provider for all, even the disbelievers.
---
Allaah has complete and perfect knowledge of all things.
Bukhari mentions that "Yahyá" said:
the Name of Allaah "Adh-Dhaahir", means the One who knows every open thing,
and the Name "Al-Baatin", means the One who knows every hidden thing.

"Yahyá" is Yahyá ibn Ziyaad al-Farra (d. 207AH). He has one of the first tafsīrs of Qur'aan (and it is still preserved today!)

Ḥadīth
Narrated Ibn Umar:
The Prophet said, "The keys of the unseen are five and none knows them but Allah: (1) None knows what is in
the womb, but Allah: (2) None knows what will happen tomorrow, but Allah; (3) None knows when it will rain, but
Allah; (4) None knows where he will die, but Allah (knows that); (5) and none knows when the Hour will be
established, but Allah."

Ḥadīth
Narrated Masruq:
'Aisha said, "If anyone tells you that Muhammad has seen his Lord, he is a liar, for Allah says: 'No vision can
grasp Him.' (6.103) And if anyone tells you that Muhammad has seen the Unseen, he is a liar, for Allah says:
"None has the knowledge of the Unseen but Allah."

-The Prophet, ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam did not know the Unseen.
(Sūrah al-A'raaf 007:188) Say (O Muhammad [sal-Allâhu 'alayhi wa sallam]): "I possess no power over benefit or harm to myself except as Allâh wills. If I had the knowledge of the Ghaib (Unseen), I should have secured for myself an abundance of wealth, and no evil should have touched me. I am but a warner, and a bringer of glad tidings to a people who believe."

(Sūrah al-An'aam 006:103) No vision can grasp Him, but He grasps all vision. He is Al-Latîf (the Most Subtle and Courteous), the Well-Acquainted (with all things).

---
Ḥadīth
Narrated 'Abdullah:
We used to pray behind the Prophet and used to say: "As-Salamu 'Al-Allah. The Prophet said, "Allah himself is
As-Salam (Name of Allah), so you should say: 'At-Tahiyatu lil-laihi was- sala-watu wat-taiyibatu, as-sallamu
'Alayka aiyuha-n-nabiyyu wa rahrmatu-l-lahi wa barak-atuhu, As-salamu 'alaina wa 'ala 'ibaldi-l-lahi as-salihin.
Ashhadu an la ilaha il-lallah, wa ash-hadu anna Muhammadan 'abduhu wa rasuluhu."'

-The Companions were intending to greet Allaah, subhaanahu wa ta 'alaa
-We greet Allaah by saying "At-tahiyyaatu-lillaahi..."

The meaning of Allaah's Name, As-Salaam
1) The One free from defeciencies, the One who is Perfect
2) The One who gives Salaams (greetings) to His servants
(Sūrah YaaSeen 036:058) (It will be said to them) Salâm (peace be on you) a word from the Lord (Allâh), Most Merciful.
3) The One from Whom the creation has been freed and protected from any oppression from Him. The One Whom no one has been oppressed by. (mentioned by Imām al-Khattaabi)
4) The Grantor of safety and security
The scholar "Al-Kermaani" gathered these four meanings of the Name, As-Salaam.

---
Ḥadīth
Narrated Abū Huraira:
The Prophet said, "On the Day of Resurrection Allah will hold the whole earth and fold the heaven with His right
hand and say, 'I am the King: where are the kings of the earth?" '

Allaah is al-Malik
As mentioned in Sūrah an-Naas, Allaah is Malikin-Naas (the King of Mankind)
As mentioned in one mode of recitation of Sūrah al-Faatihah, Allaah is Maliki-Yaumid-deen (the King of the Day of Judgment)
In another mode of recititation of al-Faatihah, Allaah is Maaliki-Yaumid-deen (The Owner of the Day of Judgment)

[Jazaak Allaahu khayran akh Husayn. This is a good summary of the lesson. I have added and adjusted a few small things. It would be very helpful if you could make this a project for yourself, to help yourself review and to help others who may have missed the lecture or part of it. I would recommend that you reply with the other three lessons for this week and then start a new post for Week #2 to make it easy. Again, your reminder in the beginning is important - that no one should rely on your notes absolutely. May Allaah bless you.

It would be great if someone else could do something similar for one of the other subjects. May Allaah facilitate that. -Mūsá]
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by h_elsharif.
The topic has been locked.
More
11 years 1 month ago #263 by bint mukhtar
Replied by bint mukhtar on topic NOTES: Aqīdah Course
Jazakallaahu khairan brother Husayn

To add to your notes, an important point that was mentioned regarding Allaah's name Al-Malik:

Ḥadīth
Narrated Abū Huraira:
The Prophet said, "On the Day of Resurrection Allah will hold the whole earth and fold the heaven with His right
hand and say, 'I am the King: where are the kings of the earth?" '

Allaah is al-Malik
As mentioned in Sūrah an-Naas, Allaah is Malikin-Naas (the King of Mankind)
As mentioned in one mode of recitation of Sūrah al-Faatihah, Allaah is Maliki-Yaumid-deen (the King of the Day of Judgment)
In another mode of recititation of al-Faatihah, Allaah is Maaliki-Yaumid-deen (The Owner of the Day of Judgment)

Because Malik and Maalik can both be used in souratul-faatiha it does not mean they can be interchanged in sourtun-naas. This is because the wordings in the Quran are all revelation, and there is no revelation/different recitation from Allaah that permits us to recite Maalikin-naas (mad on meem) sometimes, and malikin-naas (no mad) other times.

Every malik is a maalik, and the opposite is not true.
i.e. Every king is an owner, but not every owner is a king.

QUESTION FOR BROTHER MOOSAA
Does Allaah use malikin-naas (as opposed to maalikin-naas) in souratun-naas to show absolute ownership of mankind, that He, subhaanhu wa ta'ala, is the King of all kings, and the Owner of everyone who owns (e.g. a human master owns his slave, kingdom etc, and Allaah owns him and all others)? Whereas as in al-faatiha it can be recited maliki yawmid-deen, or maaliki yawmid-deen, because there is only one owner and one king of the Day of ressurrection?

I hope my question is clear. Basically, I'm trying understand if this is the reason why both malik and maalik can be used in reference to ownership of yawmud-deen, and not mankind.
  • troid.ca admin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago #264 by troid.ca admin
Replied by troid.ca admin on topic NOTES: Aqīdah Course
Please add questions in a seperate forum topic with the question in the title of the topic. This will be better insha'Allaah
  • h_elsharif
  • h_elsharif's Avatar Topic Author
  • Maʿrūf Boarder
  • Maʿrūf Boarder
More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #271 by h_elsharif
Replied by h_elsharif on topic NOTES: Aqīdah Course
Aqīdah: Kitaab at-Tawḥīd: ch.7-13
Week One
Class #2

Sahih Bukhari Vol 9, Book of Tawḥīd, Chapter 7:
Point of reference: Allaah is al-Azīz (the All-Mighty), al-Ḥakīm (the All-Wise). He is described with possessing perfect and complete Might and Honor
(Sūrah an-Nahl 016:060) And He is the All-Mighty, the All-Wise.
(also see 14:4 and 45:37)

(Sūrah as-Saaffaat 037:180) Glorified is your Lord, the Lord of honour and power! (He is free) from what they attribute to Him!

Honor and might are attributes that the creation can have; however, when people have it, in many cases they use it to oppress others.
The Name of Allaah al-Azīz (the All-Mighty) is often paired with the Name al-Ḥakīm (the All-Wise, the One who is Just and puts everything in its proper place) to emphasize that Allaah has perfect Might and that it never leads Him to oppress (as oppression means to put something in its improper place).

Shaykh Uthaymīn mentioned that when the Names of Allaah are paired (like in the above example), Perfection upon Perfection is achieved as the Perfection of one of Allaah's Names is enhanced by the Perfection of the other Name paired with it.

(Sūrah al-Munaafiqoon 063:008) But honour, power and glory belong to Allâh, and to His Messenger (Muhammad ,sal-Allâhu 'alayhi wa sallam), and to the believers...

(Sūrah Faatir 035:010) Whosoever desires honour, power and glory, then to Allâh belong all honour, power and glory

Allaah is the Possessor of 'Izzah (Might and Honor), and any might and honor bestowed upon the creation is from Him and not from their own will or effort.

Under this Chapter heading Bukhari brings the narration about the Hellfire swearing by the 'Izzah of Allaah when Allaah will put His Foot over the Hellfire on the Day of Resurrection.

Under this Chapter heading Bukhari brings the narration about the last man to enter Paradise who swears by the 'Izzah of Allaah.

Under this Chapter heading Bukhari brings the narration about Prophet Ayyuub who swore by the 'Izzah of Allaah

Ḥadīth
Narrated Ibn 'Abbas:
The Prophet used to say, "I seek refuge (with You) by Your 'Izzat, None has the right to be worshipped but You
Who does not die while the Jinns and the human beings die."

Ḥadīth
Narrated Anas:
The Prophet said, "(The people will be thrown into Hell ( Fire) and it will keep on saying, 'Is there any more?' till
the Lord of the worlds puts His Foot over it, whereupon its different sides will come close to each other, and it will
say, 'Qad! Qad! (enough! enough!) By Your 'Izzat (Honor and Power) and Your Karam (Generosity)!' Paradise
will remain spacious enough to accommodate more people until Allah will create some more people and let them
dwell in the superfluous space of Paradise. "

-Proofs that we can swear by the Honor of Allaah and we can seek refuge with the Honor of Allaah

Chapter 8
Points of reference:
Allaah is al-Haqq, He created the heavens and the earth "bil-Haqq" (with Truth, or in Truth)
The meaning of Al-Haqq and "bil-Haqq"
(Sūrah al-An'aam 006:073) It is He Who has created the heavens and the earth in truth...

Ḥadīth
Narrated Ibn 'Abbas:
The Prophet used to invoke Allah at night, saying, "O Allah: All the Praises are for You: You are the Lord of the
Heavens and the Earth. All the Praises are for You; You are the Maintainer of the Heaven and the Earth and
whatever is in them. All the Praises are for You; You are the Light of the Heavens and the Earth. Your Word is
the Truth, and Your Promise is the Truth, and the Meeting with You is the Truth, and Paradise is the Truth, and
the (Hell) Fire is the Truth, and the Hour is the Truth. O Allah! I surrender myself to You, and I believe in You and
I depend upon You, and I repent to You and with You (Your evidences) I stand against my opponents, and to you
I leave the judgment (for those who refuse my message). O Allah! Forgive me my sins that I did in the past or will
do in the future, and also the sins I did in secret or in public. You are my only God (Whom I worship) and there is
no other God for me (i.e. I worship none but You)."

Ḥadīth
Narrated Sufyan:
(regarding the above narration) that the Prophet added, "You are the Truth, and Your Word is the Truth."

Meanings of "The heavens and the earth were created bil-Haqq" and "His Word is al-Haqq" as mentioned by the people of knowledge
1) "Bil-Haqq" refers to Allaah creating everything with His Statement "Be" and it was.
2) "Bil-Haqq" refers to "lil-Haqq", meaning it was created for the sake of the Truth to be known
3) "Bil-Haqq" means Allaah created everything without jest, joke, nor play. Rather His creating everything is a serious matter.

Allaah is al-Haqq, the One Whom no one can possibly deny and the One Whom everyone must affirm and acknowledge

Chapter 9
(Sūrah an-Nisaa 004:134) And Allâh is Ever All-Hearer, All-Seer.
Point of reference: Allaah has Perfect Hearing and He hears everything

Referred to in the Chapter Heading:
(Sūrah al-Mujaadilah 058:001) Indeed Allâh has heard the statement of her (Khaulah bint Tha'labah) that disputes with you (O Muhammad [sal-Allâhu 'alayhi wa sallam]) concerning her husband (Aus bin As-Sâmit)...
-Ummul-Mu'mineen Aaisha, radyAllaahu anhaa, was amazed as when Khaulah bint Tha'labah complained, she (Khaulah) was speaking in a very low voice to Aaisha and Allaah revealed that He heard her.
Aaisha said: "Praise be to Allaah, Whose hearing power can detect all kinds of sounds"

Ḥadīth
Narrated Abū Musa:
We were with the Prophet on a journey, and whenever we ascended a high place, we used to say, "Allahu
Akbar." The Prophet said, "Don't trouble yourselves too much! You are not calling a deaf or an absent one,
but you are calling One Who Hears, Sees, and is very near." Then he came to me while I was saying in my heart,
"La hawla wala quwwatta illa billah (There is neither might nor power but with Allah)." He said, to me, "O
'Abdullah bin Qais! Say, 'La hawla wala quwwata illa billah (There is neither might nor power but with Allah), for it
is one of the treasures of Paradise." Or said, "Shall I tell you of it?"

- There is no need to address Allaah with an overly loud, shouting voice as Allaah hears all things.
- It is not legislated to shout when making dhikr
- There is a popular innovation that someone says loudly to a crowd "Takbir!" so that the crowd or group would shout in reply, "Allaahu Akbar!". This is not correct as shown in the previously mentioned ḥadīth.

Ḥadīth
Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Amr:
Abū Bakr As-Siddiq said to the Prophet "O Allah's Apostle! Teach me an invocation with which I may invoke Allah
in my prayers." The Prophet said, "Say: O Allah! I have wronged my soul very much (oppressed myself), and
none forgives the sins but You; so please bestow Your Forgiveness upon me. No doubt, You are the Oft-
Forgiving, Most Merciful."

-Question: Why did Bukhari put this ḥadīth here?
-Answer (from ibn Hajr al-Asqalani): This is an application of the knowledge that Allaah is As-Samee' (the All-Hearer), as the one who knows Allaah hears everything and all the sinful things we say will ask Allaah for forgiveness much.

Ḥadīth
Narrated 'Aisha:
The Prophet said, "Gabriel called me and said, 'Allah has heard the statement of your people and what they
replied to you.'"

Chapter 10
(Sūrah al-An'aam 006:065) Say: "He has power..."
Main points: Allaah has the Attribute of Power and Ability

Ḥadīth
Narrated Jabir bin Abdullah As-Salami:
Allah's Apostle used to teach his companions to perform the prayer of Istikhara for each and every
matter just as he used to teach them the Suras from the Quran He used to say, "If anyone of you intends to do
some thing, he should offer a two rakat prayer other than the compulsory prayers, and after finishing it, he should
say: O Allah! I consult You, for You have all knowledge, and appeal to You to support me with Your Power and
ask for Your Bounty, for You are able to do things while I am not, and You know while I do not; and You are the
Knower of the Unseen. O Allah If You know It this matter (name your matter) is good for me both at present and
in the future, (or in my religion), in my this life and in the Hereafter, then fulfill it for me and make it easy for me,
and then bestow Your Blessings on me in that matter. O Allah! If You know that this matter is not good for me in
my religion, in my this life and in my coming Hereafter (or at present or in the future), then divert me from it and
choose for me what is good wherever it may be, and make me be pleased with it." (See Hadith No. 391, Vol. 8)

Chapter 11
[Sūrah al-An'aam 06:110] And We shall turn their hearts...
Main points: Allaah can change a person's heart (i.e. can make a person change their position/view regarding something)

Ḥadīth
Narrated 'Abdullah:
The Prophet frequently used to swear, "No, by the One Who turns the hearts."

-And we know from the authentic narrations that the hearts are between two Fingers from the Fingers of Ar-Rahmaan (the Most Merciful).
- So we make du'aa for our hearts to become and remain steadfast upon the deen of al-Islām. And we make du'aa to Allaah that He guide those who are misguided.
- Muslims should not say regarding their Muslim brothers and sisters upon misguidance that "those people are lost" because Allaah is the One who turns the hearts and He may guide them.
-From other ḥadīth we know that the person who says "the people are lost" or "the people are destroyed" is actually the most lost and most destroyed of them. And in another narration, the person who made that statement "has destroyed them".
-The caller to Islām who views the people as "lost" and "hopeless" destroys the people as that caller will not put any effort in giving daw'ah to those people. The caller who has hope, knowing that Allaah is the One who changes the hearts will work hard in giving da'wah.
-The Khawarijj (the Renegades, a deviant sect) are those who have given up hope. They claim the Muslims and their leaders are lost, are disbelievers, and thusly must be killed. Their call is a call of frustration (as they have given up hope that the people can be guided).
-The daw'ah of Ahl al-Sunnah is the daw'ah of patience and effort.

Chapter 12
Allaah has Ninety-Nine Names; One-hundred Names, less one.
Ibn 'Abbās explained that "Dhul-Jalaal" means Possessor of Majesty and "Al-Barr" means "al-Latif" (The Most Courteous, the Sublime One)

Narrated Abū Huraira:
Allah's Apostle said, "Allah has ninety-nine Names, one-hundred less one; and he who memorized them all by
heart will enter Paradise." To count something means to know it by heart.

- To enumerate the Names of Allaah means to gather, study, memorize, and act in accordance to what knowledge of the Names of Allaah neccessitates. (for example, the one who knows Allaah hears everything, will be careful to say only things Allaah, subhaanahu wa ta 'alaa is pleased with)

The Jahmiyyah falsely claim that the Names of Allaah are created.
But Allaah says:
(Sūrah al-A'raaf 007:180) And (all) the Most Beautiful Names belong to Allâh, so call on Him by them
-And we cannot be ordered to call upon created things.
-The Names of Allaah refer to Him and are not created.

Ḥadīth
Narrated Abū Huraira:
The Prophet said, "When anyone of you goes to bed, he should dust it off thrice with the edge of his garment,
and say: Bismika Rabbi wada'tu janbi, wa bika arfa'hu. In amsakta nafsi faghfir laha, wa in arsaltaha fahfazha
bima tahfaz bihi 'ibadaka-s-salihin."

Ḥadīth
Narrated Juhaifa:
When the Prophet went to bed, he used to say, "Allaahumma bismika ahya wa amut." And when he got Up in the
mornings he used to say, "Alhamdu lillahi al-ladhi ahyana ba'da ma amatana wa ilaihi-n-nushur."

-Here the Prophet, ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam, is seeking refuge with Allaah's Name. The Names of Allaah are not created, otherwise, to seek refuge with His Names or to do an action with His Name would be an act of shirk.
More
11 years 1 month ago #276 by Nusaybah
Replied by Nusaybah on topic NOTES: Aqīdah Course
Assalamu Alaikum wa Rahamatullahi wa barakatuh

Here are some addition notes to the aqīdah class day 2 I decided to post since that day many had trouble hearing the class. Maasha'Allah most of it is already covered by the brother who's already posted but combined they should insha'Allah provide a little bit more. I've made them using the audio file sent out to the students who couldn't hear the class at first. Please don't forget they may have mistakes in them as I am human, so if you see any please correct me. BarakAllahu feekum.

Ukhtukum fil Islām:

Nusaybah Alli
Toronto-Canada

Attachment Copy_of_Aqīdah2.doc not found

Attachments:
  • h_elsharif
  • Maʿrūf Boarder
  • Maʿrūf Boarder
More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #289 by h_elsharif
Aqīdah: Kitaab at-Tawḥīd: ch.14-20
Week 1
Class #03

Chapter 14:
Deals with issue of the "Dhaat" (The Self, Actual Presence/Existence, Essence of Being) of Allaah

Ḥadīth
Narrated Abū Huraira:
Allah's Apostle, ṣallallāhu alayhi wa sallam, sent ten persons to bring the enemy's secrets and Khubaib Al-Ansari was one of them.
'Ubaidullah bin 'Iyad told me that the daughter of Al-Harith told him that when they gathered (to kill Khubaib Al
Ansari) he asked for a razor to clean his pubic region, and when they had taken him outside the sanctuary of
Mecca in order to kill him, he said in verse, "I don't care if I am killed as a Muslim, on any side (of my body) I may
be killed in Allah's Cause; for that is for the sake of Allah's very Self; and if He will, He will bestow His Blessings
upon the torn pieces of my body." Then Ibn Al-Harith killed him, and the Prophet, ṣallallāhu alayhi wa sallam, informed his companions of the death of those (ten men) on the very day they were killed.

-Khubaib ibn Adee al-Ansaari: A Sahaabee, fought in the Battle of Badr and killed the mushrik al-Haarith ibn Aamir al-Naufa. When Khubaib was later captured by the pagans, the tribe of al-Haarith (and specifically the son of al-Haarith ibn Aamir) purchased Khubaib as a slave with the intent to exact revenge. Khubayb, may Allaah be pleased with him was an honorable prisoner, and was pleased to die a martyr.
-Point of reference: "... for that is for 'Dhaatillaah' (for the Self of Allaah)"

Chapter 15
(Sūrah Aal-'Imrān 003:028) ...And Allâh warns you against Himself...
(Sūrah al-Maa'idah 005:116) ...You know what is in my inner self though I do not know what is in Yours...

Note: The ḥadīth that appears after this chapter heading should really be in Chapter 20
Main point: Chapter presents proofs affirming a "Dhaat" and a "Nafs" for Allaah (His Essence/Self/Presence)

Ḥadīth
Narrated Abū Huraira:
The Prophet, ṣallallāhu alayhi wa sallam, said, "When Allah created the Creation, He wrote in His Book--and He wrote (that) about Himself,
and it is placed with Him on the Throne--'Verily My Mercy overcomes My Anger.'"

-Affirms a Self, Mercy, and Anger for Allaah. It also affirms His Throne. Also, Allaah can make something obligatory or prohibited upon Himself.
-Ahl al-Sunnah wal-Jama'ah affirm the Attributes of Allaah in a manner befitting His Majesty without askying "kayf" (how?).

Ḥadīth
Narrated Abū Huraira:
The Prophet, ṣallallāhu alayhi wa sallam, said, "Allah says: 'I am just as My slave thinks I am, (i.e. I am able to do for him what he thinks I can
do for him) and I am with him if He remembers Me. If he remembers Me in himself, I too, remember him in
Myself; and if he remembers Me in a group of people, I remember him in a group that is better than they; and if
he comes one span nearer to Me, I go one cubit nearer to him; and if he comes one cubit nearer to Me, I go a
distance of two outstretched arms nearer to him; and if he comes to Me walking, I go to him running.' "

-Point of reference: "I too, remember him in Myself"
-Shaykh Muhammad ibn Ṣāliḥ al-Uthaymīn mentions in his book, "Al-Qawid al-Muflah..." (Exemplary Foundations Concerning the Beautiful Names and Attributes of Allaah) that Allaah does certain chosen actions and He does whatever He likes.
-Examples of some of His chosen actions: Allaah's coming, His ascension above His Throne, His descending to the lowest heaven, His accepting charity with His Right Hand... etc.
-Ahl al-Sunnah affirm the literal/apparent meanings of these actions of Allaah, subhaanahu wa ta 'alaa, in a manner befitting His Majesty without saying that His Actions or Attributes are similar to that of the creation.

Ch. 16
(Sūrah al-Qasas 028:088) Everything will perish except His Face. (That means that Allaah will never perish.)
Main point: Affirmation that Allaah has a Face

Ḥadīth
Narrated Jabir bin 'Abdullah:
when this Verse:--'Say (O Muhammad!): He has Power to send torments on you from above,' (6.65) was
revealed; The Prophet, ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam, said, "I take refuge with Your Face." Allah revealed:-- '..or from underneath your feet.'
(6.65) The Prophet, ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam, then said, "I seek refuge with Your Face!" Then Allah revealed:--'...or confuse you in partystrife.'
(6.65) Oh that, the Prophet, ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam, said, "This is easier."

-Affirms the Face of Allaah. We can seek refuge with His Face.
-Note: It is very important for translators to be careful and precise in translating texts from Arabic that relate to Aqīdah.
-The Prophet, ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam, as mentioned in another narration, asked Allaah for four things and was granted two of them:
1) That this Ummah not be tested by being struck by stones from the sky
2) That this Ummah not be tested by the earth swallowing them from below
3) That this Ummah not be stricken with party strife (this was not granted)
4) That this Ummah not taste the harm wrought by their own hands (this was not granted)

-Generally the du'aa of the Prophets are answered, but some are not answered
-The Prophet, ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam, said "This is easier" as he was already informed that party stife would occur in his Ummah. And Allaah knows best.

Chapter 17
(Sūrah TaaHaa 020:039)...in order that you may be brought up under My Eye.
(Sūrah al-Qamar 054:014) Floating under Our Eyes (the Ark of Nuh)...

- Reference to Allaah having two Eyes that are complete and perfect and not like the eyes of the creation. One who is under the the Eye of Allaah is also under His Supervision and Protection.
- See ibn Uthaymīn's "Al-Qawaid al-Muflah", the Attributes of Allaah are affirmed based on their literal/apparent meaning in the Arabic language.

Ḥadīth
Narrated 'Abdullah:
Ad-Dajjal was mentioned in the presence of the Prophet, ṣallallāhu alayhi wa sallam. The Prophet, ṣallallāhu alayhi wa sallam said, "Allah is not hidden from you; He is
not one-eyed," and pointed with his hand towards his eye, adding, "While Al-Masih Ad-Dajjal is blind in the right
eye and his eye looks like a protruding grape."

Narrated Anas:
The Prophet, ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam, said, "Allah did not send any prophet but that he warned his nation of the one-eyed liar (Ad-Dajjal).
He is one-eyed while your Lord is not one-eyed, The word 'Kafir' (unbeliever) is written between his two eyes."

-Dajjal is one-eyed (he has two eyes and one of his eyes is blind/deficient). Allaah has two perfect and complete Eyes.
-Note: those who negate the Attributes of Allaah, do so by way of first making "tashbeeh" (making similitude of Allaah to the creation). For example if they hear that Allaah has Eyes, then they consider that these Eyes are similar to that of the creation and then conclude that Allaah must not have Eyes. This is terrible judgment. Allaah has lofty Attributes, they are obligatory to affirm, and they are not comparable to the attributes of the creation.

Chapter 18
(Sūrah al-Hashr 059:024) He is Allâh, the Creator, the Inventor of all things, the Bestower of forms.

Ḥadīth
Narrated Abū Said Al-Khudri:
That during the battle with Bani Al-Mustaliq they (Muslims) captured some females and intended to have sexual
relation with them without impregnating them. So they asked the Prophet, ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam, about coitus interrupt us. The Prophet , ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam,
said, "It is better that you should not do it, for Allah has written whom He is going to create till the Day of
Resurrection." Qaza'a said, "I heard Abū Sa'id saying that the Prophet said, 'No soul is ordained to be created
but Allah will create it."

-Point of reference: Allaah, subhaanahu wa ta 'alaa, creates, and He is the Creator.

Chapter 19
(Sūrah Saad 038:075) ...To one whom I have created with Both My Hands.
-Main point: Affirmation of the Hands of Allaah.

Ḥadīth
Mentioned is the detailed ḥadīth about the Day of Resurrection at the time where the people will request for the Prophets to intercede for them (and at this time such a request would be permissible as the Prophets, alayhimussalām, will be alive and possibly capable). The point of reference in the ḥadīth is that Prophet Aadam, alayhissalām, will be referred to as the one who Allaah created "with His Own Hands".

-Two Hands are affirmed for Allaah, and as mentioned in another narration, both of Allaah's Hands are Right Hands.
-His Hands are perfect and do not resemble the hands of the creation.

Chapter 20
-Affirms the "Ghaira" for Allaah
-"Ghaira" refers to the quality of being protective of something that is your right.

Ḥadīth
Narrated Al-Mughira:
Sa'd bin 'Ubada said, "If I saw a man with my wife, I would strike him (behead him) with the blade of my sword."
This news reached Allah's Apostle, ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam, who then said, "You people are astonished at Sa'd's Ghira. By Allah, I have
more Ghira than he, and Allah has more Ghira than I, and because of Allah's Ghira, He has made unlawful
Shameful deeds and sins (illegal sexual intercourse etc.) done in open and in secret. And there is none who likes
that the people should repent to Him and beg His pardon than Allah, and for this reason He sent the warners and
the givers of good news. And there is none who likes to be praised more than Allah does, and for this reason,
Allah promised to grant Paradise (to the doers of good)." 'Abdul Malik said, "No person has more Ghira than
Allah."
  • h_elsharif
  • Maʿrūf Boarder
  • Maʿrūf Boarder
More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #292 by h_elsharif
Aqīdah: Kitaab at-Tawḥīd: ch.21-22
Week 1
Class #04

Chapter 21
(Sūrah al-An'aam 006:019) Say (O Muhammad [sal-Allâhu 'alayhi wa sallam]): "What thing is the most great as witness?" Say: "Allâh..."
(Sūrah al-Qasas 028:088) ...Everything will perish except His Face.

-Main point: Allaah, subhaanahu wa ta 'alaa calls Himself a Thing, meaning in this case something that exists.
-The mistaken says Allaah cannot be referred to as a "thing" becauses "things" are created. They follow this incorrect notion with an evil statement in the arabic language that means "Allaah is nothing". Subhaanallaah!
-The word "shay'" (thing) in arabic can refer to something that is created or something that exists. When referring to Allaah or to the Qur'aan, the word "thing" means something that exists.

Ḥadīth
Narrated Sahl bin Sa'd:
The Prophet, ṣallallāhu alayhi wa sallam, said to a man, "Have you got anything of the Qur'an?" The man said, "Yes, such-and-such Surah,
and such-and-such Surah," naming the Surahs.

-This is part of a longer ḥadīth.
-Point of reference: The Qur'aan is referred to as a thing and the Qur'an is the Speech of Allaah. It is not created.

Chapter 22
(Sūrah Hood 011:007) ...His Throne was on the water...
(Sūrah an-Naml 027:026) ...the Lord of the Supreme Throne!
Main point: Affirmation of the Highness (the 'Uluww) of Allaah with regards to His Self, His Status, and His Attributes

Ḥadīth
Narrated 'Imran bin Hussain:
While I was with the Prophet,sallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam , some people from Bani Tamim came to him. The Prophet,sallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam , said, "O Bani Tamim!
Accept the good news!" They said, "You have given us the good news; now give us (something)." (After a while)
some Yemenites entered, and he said to them, "O the people of Yemen! Accept the good news, as Bani Tamim
have refused it. " They said, "We accept it, for we have come to you to learn the Religion. So we ask you what
the beginning of this universe was." The Prophet,sallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam , said "There was Allah and nothing else before Him and His
Throne was over the water, and He then created the Heavens and the Earth and wrote everything in the Book."
Then a man came to me and said, 'O Imran! Follow your she-camel for it has run away!" So I set out seeking it,
and behold, it was beyond the mirage! By Allah, I wished that it (my she-camel) had gone but that I had not left
(the gathering). "

-Here the Companion regretted that something from the dunyaa came between him and hearing the Messenger of Allaah, sallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam.
-Point of reference: Allaah is above His Throne, and His Throne is above the creation.

Ḥadīth
Narrated Abū Huraira:
The Prophet, ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam, said, "The Right (Hand) of Allah Is full, and (Its fullness) is not affected by the continuous spending
night and day. Do you see what He has spent since He created the Heavens and the Earth? Yet all that has not
decreased what is in His Right Hand. His Throne is over the water and in His other Hand is the Bounty or the
Power to bring about death, and He raises some people and brings others down."

-Affirmation of the two Hands of Allaah
-Point of reference: Allaah is above His Throne and His Throne is over the water. Refers to the 'Uluww of Allaah with regards to His Dhaat (His Actual Presence/Self)

Ḥadīth
Narrated Abū Huraira:
The Prophet, ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam, said, "Whoever believes in Allah and His Apostle offers prayers perfectly and fasts (the month of)
Ramaḍān then it is incumbent upon Allah to admit him into Paradise, whether he emigrates for Allah's cause or
stays in the land where he was born." They (the companions of the Prophet, ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam,) said, "O Allah's Apostle! Should we
not inform the people of that?" He said, "There are one-hundred degrees in Paradise which Allah has prepared
for those who carry on Jihad in His Cause. The distance between every two degrees is like the distance between
the sky and the Earth, so if you ask Allah for anything, ask Him for the Firdaus, for it is the last part of Paradise
and the highest part of Paradise, and at its top there is the Throne of Beneficent, and from it gush forth the rivers
of Paradise."

-Point of reference: The Highness of Allaah. Also refers to the Throne of Allaah being over water as the rivers of Paradise gush forth from beneath the Throne.

Ḥadīth
Narrated Ibn 'Abbas:
The Prophet, ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam, used to say at the time of difficulty, 'La ilaha il-lallah Al-'Alimul-Halim. La-ilaha il-lallah Rabul- Arshal-
Azim, La ilaha-il-lallah Rabus-Samawati Rab-ul-Ard; wa Rab-ul-Arsh Al-Karim.'
(None has the right to be worshipped except Allaah, the All-Knower, the Most Forebearing. None has the right to be worshipped except Allaah, the Lord of the Tremendous Throne. None has the right to be worshipped except Allaah, the Lord of the heavens and the Lord of the earth and the Lord of the Honourable Throne.)

-In times of difficulty we remind ourselves of Allaah's Loftiness and Exaltedness, His Throne, that He is All-Knowing. We seek His help in times of difficulty and ease.
More
11 years 1 month ago #315 by Nusaybah
Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh

Here are my notes for yesterday's aqīdah class. I've typed them up (very fast) while I was listening to the class and went back afterwards to change the abbreviations and organize what I typed so it would be easy to understand. Since they were taken very fast, please look out for any mistakes and mention them. Also please add anything that is missing. BarakAllahu feekum.

Attached-Aqīdah Class 5 notes (from July 7)

Nusaybah Alli
Toronto-Canada

Attachment Copy_of_Aqīdah_5.doc not found

Attachments:
  • UmTasneemKhadij
  • Jadīd Boarder
  • Jadīd Boarder
More
11 years 1 month ago #319 by UmTasneemKhadij
Replied by UmTasneemKhadij on topic NOTES: Aqīdah Course
What I got out of the Aqueedah notes inshallah.

File Attachment:

File Name: aqueeda_mon_07.doc
File Size:37 KB
Attachments:
More
11 years 1 month ago #334 by Nusaybah
Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh

Could someone kindly posts yesterday's notes, for aqīdah and fiqh if it is easy for you? SubhanAllah, during class yesterday a huge truck entered into my neighborhood and the top of it caught hold of my internet cable that was suspended across the road breaking it in half and disconnecting me. Although it was kinda funny, I would love to read up on what I missed. BarakAllah feekum.

Nusaybah Alli
Moderators: troid.ca adminmoosaa.richardsonAbu Ubaidah
Time to create page: 0.338 seconds

RT @1MMeducation: @abdul4455_com حتى لا يوجه المغفلون كلام العلامة مقبل بن هادي رحمه الله غير التوجيه الصحيح المقصود فلا يدخل في هذا الكلام…

troid.org troid.org

RT @AbuKhadeejahSP: Shaikh Ibn Bāz was asked: “The one who praises Ahlul-Bid’ah and extols them, is he counted among them?” He replied:…

troid.org troid.org

RT @hikmahpubs: For Allāh to accept any act of worship there are 3 requirements: 1. Islam = Quran 3:85 2. Sincerity = 18:110 3. Adherence…

troid.org troid.org