Popular @troid.org

Topic-icon Shamā'il Al-Muhammadīyyah by Imām Tirmidhī

• UmmSafura
  • UmmSafura's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 years 8 months ago #2568 by UmmSafura
In this explanation by our brother Abūl Ḥasan Mālik, not only does he deliver this class articulately explaining how our Prophet ﷺ looked, he also gives small yet significantly beautiful facts about the scholars of the past with meaningful lessons we should reflect upon.

Please notice that these notes are brief, somewhat summarised and slightly edited, intended simply for understanding. If there are any corrections or additional information needed, please do let me know. The link has been provided so that you can go through the classes individually at your own pace for self or even group study.

In Tuhfatul-Ahwadhī bi sharḥ Jāmi' at-Tirmidhī by Al Mubārakfoorī 1353H:
“Most Muhaddith have been 'Ājim - non Arab.”

Imām Tirmidhī's kunya was Abū 'Īsā in al-Jām'i he preferred that he be called Abū 'Īsā, so when he would write he would write:
“…Qāla Abū 'Īsā…”
Some scholars disliked the kunya:

A man came to the Prophet ﷺ called Abū 'Īsā whereupon he said,"'Īsā didn't have a father."

It's been said that he was joking with his companion. This was how he used to joke with his companions. Notice the truthfulness in his jokes). Mughirah ibn Shu'bah had the kunya Abū 'Īsā, some say the Prophet ﷺ gave him this kunya.

Al-Mubārakfūrī said:
"There is no prohibition in taking the kunya Abū 'Īsā."
Imam Tirmidhī was blind. Al Mubārakfūrī also went blind in his last years.

This is stated in Tuhfat Al-Ahwadi bi sharḥ Jām'i Tirmidhī by Al-Mubārakfūrī (that At Tirmidhī was blind).
There are three ways to say Abū 'Īsā's name:
  1. At-Tarmadhī
  2. At-Tirmidhī
  3. At-Turmudhī
All three are correct and but the most common and widespread is "At-Tirmidhī."
Khalq - physical attributes of a person.
Khuluq - inward attributes
Sarf is very important.

Shimāl means characteristic inward and outward – shamā’il is plural.

Anas b. Mālik: (he served the Prophet ﷺ for 10 years).
He was named, 'the possessor of the two ears.' - maybe he had large ears - a joke from the Prophet ﷺ.
Anas b. Mālik died: Over 100 years of age
The Last Companions:
The last Abū Tufayl Āmir al-Laythi was the last companion in Makkah.
Jābir b. ‘Abdillāh was the last companion in Madīnah.
Anas b. Mālik was the last companion in Basrah.

The 'Ulama have argued who was the LAST companion that died.

Abū Tufayl: “I am the last companion to die.”

Anas b. Mālik: “The Prophet wasn't very tall, nor short. Wasn't white or black (chocolate), wasn't curly or straight.”

He ﷺ stayed in Makkah 10 years and Madinah 10 years.
He had twenty grey hairs his head and beard. (Abūl Ḥasan asks why it is important to know this, why has this been stated): This is because of the diligence of the companions, i.e. they noted everything down!

The Prophet ﷺ was sent at the age of 40.

Ash Shawkānī: Allāh never sent a Prophet ﷺ except at the age of 40. He (Ash Shawkānī) also said, no Prophet came until the age of 40. Except 'Īsā b. Maryam.

This shows the respect for the elders. The man comes to his understanding at 40, rarely will you find a man changing his character and conduct after the age of 40 - this is what the ‘Ulama have said.

Virtue is in your elders. You should respect your elders. Ibn 'Umar never spoke at the time of the date tree out of respect because he was the youngest. Two twin brothers - the younger twin wouldn't speak unless the first one did, he wouldn't eat until the first one did. - respect and conduct.

The first house established for worship was al-Bakkah. Some dialects will exchange the meem to a baa.
Others have said: The whole of the city wasn't Bakkah, only the house it. - Imām Dhagawī

Ibn Hajar said his hair wasn't like the African (afro, kinky, tight curls) and not like Al Hind (Indians), straight hair. It was straight with a bit of a curl.

The Prophet ﷺ wasn't extremely pale or black rather he was tanned - red. Ahmār - he was brown, red complexion.

Yathrib came from a man who resided there called Yathrib – Fath al-Bārī, volume 7 pg. 236
Manawi in Sharḥ Muslim - Yathrib was the name of Madīnah in the time of Jahilīyyah but Allāh named it Al-Madīnatun Nabawīyyah – The city of the Prophet

There's a narration where it's disliked to call Madinah Yathrib because it was used at the time of Jahilīyyah. It's disliked but not Harām. Some say it's not permissible whilst some say it's disliked.

Upon Anas b. Mālik: The Prophetwas of medium height, not tall or short, he had a very beautiful form, if he walked he would lean forward.

Shaykh Albāni said:
"He used to lean forward or walk like he was descending like a ship, moving forward, smoothly."

Narration which is Sahīh:
The Prophet ﷺ was of medium height, with very broad shoulders, most of his hair would descend to the middle of his hair some say his shoulder.

The Prophet ﷺ would cut his hair and he'd grow his hair.

He said: in his sharḥ the majority of the scholars of aḥadīth were non Arabs why? Because at the time the Arabs were concerned with leadership and the non Arabs were concerned with aḥadīth.

A fact stated about Shaykh Al Albāni: I (Albāni) would hit the mark with a single word (in Nahw class).
Shaykh Albāni was first known as Arna'ūfi.
A Motivation To Learners Who Have “Past Learning Age”:

You can learn in your elder years, Tirmidhī studied Ḥadīth at the age of 25.

Adh-Dhahabī was diligent in seeking knowledge.

An-Najmi said about al-Qar'awi (his teacher) that he didn't start styling until the age of 30.
After the age of 31 studied Kutub As Sittah he read all the books in the Madrassah of Hind, etc.

Abūl Ḥasan Mālik concludes this lesson by saying: Leave your old age excuses, don't want to hear about being non Arab, old age, these excuses are from laziness and the Prophetsought refuge from this.
All praise belongs to Allāh may His peace and blessings be upon our final
Prophet Muhammad ﷺ, his family, his companions and all those who follow his
guidance.

Subhānak Allāhumma wa bihamdika ash-hadu anlā illāha illa anta Astaghfirukā wa atubu ilayk
If I said anything correct, then it is from Allāh (subhānahu wa ta'āla), and if I erred, then that is from me and Shaytān.

Shurayh an-Nakha'i said: My wife died before me. I wish she could take from my life or that we died together. I have seen how men hit their wives. May my hand be paralysed if my hand hits Zaynab. |al-Ahkam 1/462|

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Umm YousufUmmSafura
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds

RT @AbuMuadhTaqweem: Friday Khutba: “Du’ā & it’s Importance for a Believer” 1st half in Arabic 2nd half in English Based upon a khutba of…

troid.org troid.org

RT @AbuKhadeejahSP: “Eid Milād an-Nabī” is practised by millions of Muslims worldwide. They regard this to be an integral of their Islamic…

troid.org troid.org

RT @DarimiBSIC: [NEW] Book Selection from The Garden of the Wise and the Meadow of the Virtuous by Abu Hatim Ibn Hibban (D. 354 AH) Ord…

troid.org troid.org

RT @SalafiCentre: 👍 Free Audio 🎧 Download & Listen Refutation of Hizbu Tahreer and Muhajiroon – Shaykh al-Albani | Abdulilah Lahmami https:…

troid.org troid.org