Popular @troid.org

Topic-icon Fasting of the Mentally Ill Person Ruling

• UmmSafura
  • UmmSafura's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #2789 by UmmSafura
Fasting of the Mentally Ill Person Ruling | Dr. Ṣaleḥ aṣ-Ṣaleḥ and Shaykh Ḥasan ʿAbd al-Wahhāb Marzūq al-Banná (may Allāh have mercy on the both), transcribed by Umm Ṣafūrā

Dr. Ṣaleḥ aṣ-Ṣaleḥ (may Allāh have mercy on him) | [audio attached below] [1]

Question
The ruling on a person who is mentally ill and becomes sick if she doesn't eat her essential pills every day during certain times of the day, is it obligatory for her to fast?

Answer
No. And the doctor/psychologist has advised her to abstain, what do you mean abstain? What do you mean she is to abstain? Not to do what? Not to fast?

Because if her situation was to (not clear) without the pills then she is excused from fasting and then in the future she becomes better, naʿam, if these are reliable and trustworthy positions then she can take their advice and she can break the fast and feed for each day a person if this continues with her after Ramaḍān.

If she recovers then in this case she can make up for it, may Allāh Subḥāna wa Taʿālá give her health and give her the cure, and may Allāh Subḥāna wa Taʿālá make this an expiation for her. [She has to] feed a poor person a meal; a lunch meal, a dinner meal, that's fine. And if she can give, if she can feed 30 people or 29, depending on the month at one time, then that's fine – separate days, that is fine. If she is unable to pay, she doesn't have the means to feed them, Alḥamdulillāh, Allāh Subḥāna wa Taʿālá does not burden a soul beyond its cope and nothing becomes upon him.
________

Shaykh Ḥasan ʿAbd al-Wahhāb Marzūq al-Banná (may Allāh have mercy on him) Q&A session with MPUBS [2]

Question
A sister has missed many days from Ramaḍān due to weakness resulting in panic attacks, shaking and almost fainting. The sister has tried to make up the days, however she fasts one day and then her weakness returns and she has to wait a number of days to become better before she can continue fasting. The sister has almost 30 days of fasts that she has to make up. Is she included amongst those who are excused? Does she have to make up the days she missed or can she pay fidyah? She is extremely stressed out and upset and is still trying very hard to make up the days she missed.

Answer
The Shaykh ḥafidahullāh, after saying Bismillāh, walḥamdulillāh wa ṣalātu wa salāmu ʿalá Rasūlillāh, thereafter he mentioned the āyah, "And do not kill yourselves, verily Allāh is Most Merciful of you."

Do not kill yourself, verily Allāh is Most Merciful of you.

[He said] Why we have what we call concessions or "رخص" in Arabic – because as we learn from the ḥadīth of the Prophet Muḥammad (ﷺ) what it means, verily Allāh loves His "رخص" or His concessions to be taken or acted upon just like He likes the person to stay away from sins.

So Allāh Subḥāna wa Taʿālá Has mentioned in an āyah also, Allāh Subḥāna wa Taʿālá wants for you what is easy do does not want for you what is hard. All of this proves, [and] would not make a person wa iyādu billāh torment themselves or put themselves through hardship.

So, feeding a miskīn while you have the excuse to do so is permissible, so how, [as the Shaykh said], how are you putting yourself through this? And it leads you as you are describing in the question yaʿnī, the shaking and so on and being so weak and other than that of the symptoms that you are suffering from.

So break your fast [as the Shaykh said, ḥafidahullāh] and for every day that you break your fast, feed a miskīn.

[The Shaykh asks for the verse to be brought/read out – the Shaykh recites the verse]:

As the Shaykh told me to look at the āyah in Sūrat an-Nisāʾ verse 29:

"O you who believe! Do not eat your wealth amongst yourselves in falsehood except that is trade
of some sort [that both parties are pleased with] and do not kill yourselves. Verily, Allāh is Most Merciful of you."

File Attachment:

File Name: Fasting-Me...aleh.mp3
File Size:2,321 KB

Shurayh an-Nakha'i said: My wife died before me. I wish she could take from my life or that we died together. I have seen how men hit their wives. May my hand be paralysed if my hand hits Zaynab. |al-Ahkam 1/462|
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by UmmSafura.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sadiqtech75

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Umm YousufUmmSafura
Time to create page: 0.270 seconds