Popular @troid.org

Topic-icon Post Your Findings: Affirmations and Negations

• moosaa.richardson
  • moosaa.richardson's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #1155 by moosaa.richardson
Post Your Findings: Affirmations and Negations was created by moosaa.richardson
An extension activity related to the Dec. 4 2010 Kitaab at-Tawḥīd class (#2) for intermediate students:

List five texts from the Qur'aan or the Sunnah containing language that negate something and affirm something related (like "laa ilaaha ill-Allaah" - there is none worthy of worship, other than Allaah), identifying the negated thing and the affirmed thing in each one.
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by moosaa.richardson.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #1166 by dksadiq
JazaakAllaahu khayraa. This may be more difficult than the question for the advanced students. I didn't expect to find so much within a few soorah's ...

[Friends on that Day will be foes one to another except Al-Muttaqun ] (43:67)
- Negating friendship on Yaomul-Qiyaamah but affirming it for the Muttaqun.

[And (remember) when Ibrâhîm (Abraham) said to his father and his people: "Verily, I am innocent of what you worship, Except Him (i.e. I worship none but Allâh Alone) Who did create me; and verily, He will guide me."] (43: 26 - 27)
- Negating his worship of anything his people worshipped but affirming for Allah.

[It is not given to any human being that Allâh should speak to him unless (it be) by Revelation, or from behind a veil, or (that) He sends a Messenger to reveal what He wills by His Leave. Verily, He is Most High, Most Wise.] (42:51)
- Negating Allah speaking to any human being (in this world) but affirming by the mentioned methods.

[... Say (O Muhammad [sal-Allâhu 'alayhi wa sallam]): "No reward do I ask of you for this except to be kind to me for my kinship with you." ...] (42:23)
- Negating his (ṣallallāhu 'alaihi wasallam) asking a reward from them. But affirming his requesting from them to be kind to him due to his kinship with them.

[And We have sent you (O Muhammad [sal-Allâhu 'alayhi wa sallam]) not but as a mercy for the 'آlamîn (mankind, jinn and all that exists).] (21:107)
- Negating Allah sending the Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alaihi wasallam for any reason. But affirming that he was sent as a mercy to the "'aalameen."

Not sure about these:

[And not an Ayah (sign, etc.) We showed them but it was greater than its fellow ...] (43:48)

[And never came there a Prophet to them but they used to mock at him. ] (43:7)

More
10 years 11 months ago #1170 by Samia Nur
Bismillaah wal-hamdulilaah was-ṣalātu was-salāmu 'alaa rasoolilaah
As salāmu 'alaykum wa rahmatullaahi wa barakatuh,

Don't know if this is correct but this is what I found:

1. "...and whoever disbelieves in the false deities and believes in Allaah then they grasped a firm rope. And Allaah is the All-Hearing, All-Knowing" [Baqarah: 256]

2. "Worship Allaah and do not ascribe partners with Him..." [Al-Nisaa': 36]

3. "And verily to every nation we have sent a messenger saying worship Allaah and stay away from false dieties" [Nahl :36]

4. "When Ibraheem said to his people, indeed I am free from what you worship, except the one who created me" [Az-Zukhruf :26-27]

5. "Say to them, 'O people of the Book, come to a word that is equal between us , that we worship Allaah alone , and not ascribe partners with Him..." [Aal-'Imrān: 64]

was-salāmu 'alaykum wa rahmatullaah

More
10 years 11 months ago #1173 by abu ibraheem
Replied by abu ibraheem on topic Re:Post Your Findings: Affirmations and Negations
Assalamualikum wa rahmathuallhi wa barakathuhu

I think Ayatul Kursi will suffice the Question...and this is how insha Allah

The Underlined sentences are negation while the lines NOT underlined are affirmation

Allâh! Lâ ilâha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He), the Ever Living, the One Who sustains and protects all that exists. Neither slumber, nor sleep overtake Him. To Him belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on earth. Who is he that can intercede with Him except with His Permission? He knows what happens to them (His creatures) in this world, and what will happen to them in the Hereafter . And they will never compass anything of His Knowledge except that which He wills. His Kursî extends over the heavens and the earth, and He feels no fatigue in guarding and preserving them. And He is the Most High, the Most Great. (Al-Baqarah 2:255)

More
10 years 11 months ago #1178 by Umm_Saaleh
Replied by Umm_Saaleh on topic Re:Post Your Findings: Affirmations and Negations
Bismillaah wal-Hamdulilaah was-Ṣalātu was-Salaamu 'alaa Rasoolilaah

Assalamu 'Alaikum wa Rahamtullaahi wa Barakaatuhu

1. “Say (O Muhammad): I am forbidden to worship those unto whom ye cry beside Allah since there have come unto me clear proofs from my Lord, and I am commanded to surrender to the Lord of the Worlds. (66)” – [Surah Ghafir (40): 66]

2. “He is Allah, the One!And there is none comparable unto Him.” – [Surah Al-Ikhlas (112):
Verse 1 and 4]

3. “A day on which no soul hath power at all for any (other) soul. The (absolute) command on that day is Allah's.” – [Surah Al-Infitar (82): Verse 19]

4. “So submit patiently to thy Lord's command, and obey not of them any guilty one or disbeliever.” – [Surah Al-Insan (76): Verse 24]

5. “He is Allah, than Whom there is no other God, the Sovereign Lord, the Holy One, Peace, the Keeper of Faith, the Guardian, the Majestic, the Compeller, the Superb. Glorified be Allah from all that they ascribe as partner (unto Him).” – [Surah Al-Hashr (59): 23]

More
10 years 11 months ago #1179 by Junnah
Assalamu'alaykum warahmatullaahi wabarakaatuh.

1.Know they not that Allâh accepts repentance from His slaves and takes the Sadaqât (alms, charities) and that Allah Alone is the One Who forgives and accepts repentance, Most Merciful? (At-Tawbah 9:104)

Affirming that Allaah is the only one who forgives and accepts repentance, and negating it from others.

2.And (remember) when We said to the angels: "Prostrate yourselves before Adam.". And they prostrated except Iblîs (Satan), he refused and was proud and was one of the disbelievers (disobedient to Allâh). (Al-Baqarah 2:34)

Affirming that the angels prostrated to Adam, but negating that Shaytan prostrated to him.

3.Let not the believers take the disbelievers as Auliyâ (supporters, helpers, etc.) instead of the believers, and whoever does that will never be helped by Allâh in any way, except if you indeed fear a danger from them. And Allâh warns you against Himself (His Punishment) and to Allâh is the final return. (Aali Imran 3:28)

Affirming friendship between believers, but negating it between believers and disbelievers.

4.Not equal are those of the believers who sit (at home), except those who are disabled (by injury or are blind or lame, etc.), and those who strive hard and fight in the Cause of Allâh with their wealth and their lives. Allâh has preferred in grades those who strive hard and fight with their wealth and their lives above those who sit (at home). Unto each, Allâh has promised good (Paradise), but Allâh has preferred those who strive hard and fight, above those who sit (at home) by a huge reward; (An-Nisa 4:95)

Affirming a huge reward for those who strive hard and fight in the way of Allaah, and negating it for those don’t.

5.Know you not that it is Allâh to Whom belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth? And besides Allâh you have neither any Walî (protector or guardian) nor any helper. (Al-Baqarah 2:107)

Affirming that Allaah is the only protector and guardian, but negating it from anyone else.

Imam Ibn al-Jawzi said: \"Know, that days are but hours, and hours are but breaths, and every soul is a container, hence let not any breath pass without any benefit, such as on the Day of Judgment you find an empty container and feel regret! Be aware of every hour and how it passes, and only spend...

More
10 years 11 months ago #1181 by ummelias_1
Replied by ummelias_1 on topic Re:Post Your Findings: Affirmations and Negations
as salāmu alaikum

As for he conditions of laa ilaha illallah thy are knowledge that negates ignorance
certainty which negates doubt sincerity which negates-shirk truth which negates denial love which negates hate submission which negates abandoning acceptance which negates rejection Disbelief in all that is worshiped other than Allah

jazakallahu kahiran

ummelias

Umm Elias Malikah As Salafiyyah

Moderators: moosaa.richardson
Time to create page: 0.242 seconds

RT @hikmahpubs: Benefit from the senior scholars while you can, as they are leaders in knowledge, experience and wisdom. Al-‘Allamah Sali…

troid.org troid.org

RT @mbbsouthphilly: Good News: Our brothers and teachers: Hassan Somali and Anwar Wright - may Allah bless them - will be delivering lectur…

troid.org troid.org

RT @hikmahpubs: Fudayl b. ‘Iyād said: No one loves leadership except that they are envious, transgress, search for the faults of the peop…

troid.org troid.org