Popular @troid.org

Topic-icon Test your understanding: Narrating from Jews

• moosaa.richardson
  • moosaa.richardson's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 years 11 months ago #1205 by moosaa.richardson
Test your understanding: Narrating from Jews was created by moosaa.richardson
Can Muslims accept a narration from a Jew? For example, what the Jews claim as the ten commandments given to Mūsá (peace be upon him). Explain, using the guidelines mentioned in the fourth class.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• moosaa.richardson
More
10 years 11 months ago #1206 by moosaa.richardson
Replied by moosaa.richardson on topic Re:Test your understanding: Narrating from Jews
and for more advanced students: if your answer is yes, then how can we accept a narration from a Jew (who is a disbeliever) and yet we can not accept the narration of a Muslim with a weak memory? (hmm...)

More
10 years 11 months ago #1212 by umm_Ibraheem
Replied by umm_Ibraheem on topic Re:Test your understanding: Narrating from Jews
Mūsá Richardson wrote:

Can Muslims accept a narration from a Jew? For example, what the Jews claim as the ten commandments given to Mūsá (peace be upon him). Explain, using the guidelines mentioned in the fourth class.

Assalāmu 'alaykum wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuh...

Here is my attempt at this question...(am not sure if it is correct)

Firstly a Muslim can accept a narration from a Jew if the narration is something that is exactly in line with the teaching of our Prophet Muhammad (ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam), or we see that it is affirmed in the Qu'raan. Then we affirm it as the Haqq.

If the narration is something that is negated in the Qur'aan and Sunnah or we have proof that it is falsehood for example as you mentioned about what the Jews claim as The Ten Commandments, then we do not accept this narration nor do we narrate it, and we reject it.

If the narration is something that we cannot prove to be true (there is no evidence supporting it) and we do not see that it is contradicting anything that is in the Qur'aan and the Sunnah, and the narration does not have a bad meaning, then we do not reject it nor do we affirm it. Rather we may relay it but when we relay it we say 'it's been narrated' or 'the Jews claim' or 'the Christians claim' without affirming or rejecting the narration.

Jazaakallaahu Khayran

wassalāmu 'alaykum wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuh

It is reported that Abu al-Dardaa(may allaah be pleased with him) said: "You will never be pious (a person of taqwa)until you become knowledgeable, and you will never be beautiful with your knowledge until you act (by it)." [Ibn 'Abd al-Barr, Jami' Bayaan al-'Ilm wa Fadihi']

• moosaa.richardson
More
10 years 11 months ago #1213 by moosaa.richardson
Replied by moosaa.richardson on topic Re:Test your understanding: Narrating from Jews
wa álaykumus-salāmu wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuh

may Allaah bless you for the answer!

As I recall, things like worshipping only God, not committing adultery with the neighbor's wife, not stealing, not owning images... these are some of the things mentioned from the ten commandments in the bible.

(now i'm not asking anyone to open a bible, or to go do any research from an online version of it)

so i need to ask - which category of the three are these things in?

More
10 years 11 months ago #1214 by umm_Ibraheem
Replied by umm_Ibraheem on topic Re:Test your understanding: Narrating from Jews
Mūsá Richardson wrote:

As I recall, things like worshipping only God, not committing adultery with the neighbor's wife, not stealing, not owning images... these are some of the things mentioned from the ten commandments in the bible.

(now i'm not asking anyone to open a bible, or to go do any research from an online version of it)

I think that these things would be in the first category (that we accept it) because they are things that have been affirmed in the Qur'aan and the Sunnah.

It is reported that Abu al-Dardaa(may allaah be pleased with him) said: "You will never be pious (a person of taqwa)until you become knowledgeable, and you will never be beautiful with your knowledge until you act (by it)." [Ibn 'Abd al-Barr, Jami' Bayaan al-'Ilm wa Fadihi']

More
10 years 11 months ago #1215 by abumaryam
Replied by abumaryam on topic Re:Test your understanding: Narrating from Jews
Mūsá Richardson wrote:

They are in the first category i.e they are in line with the teachings of the Quran and Sunnah.

As for accepting a narration from the Jews then we have the hadith:

Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Amr: The Prophet said, "Convey (my teachings) to the people even if it were a single sentence, and tell others the stories of bani Israel (which have been taught to you), for it is not sinful to do so. And whoever tells a lie on me intentionally, will surely take his place in the (Hell) Fire." (Bukhari)

As for accepting a narration from a muslim with weak memory then if it falls under the stories of bani Israel then we narrate it without affirming it to be from the speech of a Prophet or Allah if is attributed.

More
10 years 11 months ago #1217 by Shahrom
asSalaamu 'Alykum wa Rhamatullaahi wa Baarakatuhu

I would say that the "Ten Commandments" should be classified with the second category,since it is mentioned in it that Allaah has rested on the seventh day after creating the heavens and the earth. A'udhuu billaah!!!
It is clear contradiction to the Muslim 'aqīdah since we know that Allaah is al-Quddoos meaning He is free from all deficiencies and imperfection.

Jazaka Allaahu Khayran

More
10 years 11 months ago #1220 by dksadiq

if your answer is yes, then how can we accept a narration from a Jew (who is a disbeliever) and yet we can not accept the narration of a Muslim with a weak memory? (hmm...)

Firstly, it's only a special class of narrations we treat this way: those stories (or is it ALL narrations?) which are neither rejected nor confirmed by the Qur'aan & Sunnah.
Secondly, we don't ACCEPT them, we only relate them - neither accepting them nor rejecting them.

BaarakAllaahu feek akhee for your time and efforts. Jazaakumullaahu khayraa.

More
10 years 11 months ago #1222 by Umm_Saaleh
Replied by Umm_Saaleh on topic Re:Test your understanding: Narrating from Jews
Mūsá Richardson wrote:

BismillaahiRahmaniRaheem
Assalamu 'Alaikum wa Rahmatullaahi wa Barakaatuhu

There are three categories which form the guidelines as to whether Muslims accept a narration from a Jew, which are as follows...

1) If a person comes to a Muslim narrating a statement and/or action, then if that statement and/or action is exactly in line with the Sunnaah of Messenger Muhammad ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wasalam and it is affirmed by the Qur'aan then as Muslims we should identify it as the truth, affirm it and we may narrate it whether it is from a Christian or a Jew.

2) If a person comes to a Muslim narrating statement and/or action, then if that statement and/or action is not in line with the Sunnah of the messenger Muhammed ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wasalam and is not affirmed by the Qur'aan then as Muslims we must identify it as falsehood, negate it and we must not narrate it.

3) Lastly, if a person comes to a Muslim narrating statement and/or action, then if that statement and/or action and does not have a bad meaning and is not contradictory to to anything mentioned in the Qur'aan and Sunnaah, nor is it supported by the Qur'aan and Sunnaah and nor is there any evidence to prove it is true from the Qur'aan or Sunnaah then we make what is known as tawaquf. Meaning we neither affirm it or negate it but we are allowed to narrate it. However, when we relay it we are not allowed to say 'Jesus said...' but instead we should say 'The Jews and the Christians said that... or 'It's been narrated that Jesus said that...'.

More
10 years 11 months ago #1223 by Umm_Saaleh
Replied by Umm_Saaleh on topic Re:Test your understanding: Narrating from Jews
Mūsá Richardson wrote:

and for more advanced students: if your answer is yes, then how can we accept a narration from a Jew (who is a disbeliever) and yet we can not accept the narration of a Muslim with a weak memory? (hmm...)

BismillaahiRahmaaniRaheem
Assalamu 'alaikum wa Rahmatullaahi wa Barakaatuhu

Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Amr: The Prophet said, "Convey (my teachings) to the people even if it were a single sentence, and tell others the stories of bani Israel (which have been taught to you), for it is not sinful to do so. And whoever tells a lie on me intentionally, will surely take his place in the (Hell) Fire." (Bukhari)

Because the acceptance of a narration from a Jew or Christian is from a ṣaḥīḥ ḥadīth mentioned above.

Whereas the narration of a Muslim with a weak memory would be classified as Ḥasan, Ḥasan li-ghayrihi or Da'eef, which falls into the last category of neither affirming or negating it, but the permissibility of narrating it without attributing it to the prophet Muhammad ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wasalam. So for example, we would say 'So and so said that the prophet Muhammed ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wasalam said...'.

Moderators: moosaa.richardson
Time to create page: 0.256 seconds