Popular @troid.org

Topic-icon Did the Messenger Ever Go to a SoothSayer?

• umm_Ibraheem
  • umm_Ibraheem's Avatar Topic Author
  • Asghar Boarder
  • Asghar Boarder
More
7 years 2 months ago #2307 by umm_Ibraheem
Did the Messenger Ever Go to a SoothSayer? was created by umm_Ibraheem
Assalāmu 'alaykum wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuh

I have a question for Ustaad Mūsá Richardson::

I recently heard from someone a narration saying that during the time of the Messenger of Allaah (ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam) some people came to him and told him about a soothsayer that was well-known amongst the people and that many people were going to him and believing in what he says. So the Messenger of Allaah (ṣallallāhu' alayhi wa sallam) asked to be taken to him. When he went to the soothsayer he told him what he has heard about him, then at some point during the visit the Messenger tells his companions about a word he is thinking of and tells them the word is "Hayat".Then the messenger asks the soothsayer to figure out what he is thinking and the soothsayer does whatever the soothsayers do and then tells the Messenger that he is thinking of the word "Hoyoo". The Messenger of Allaah then says you are wrong and I was thinking of Hayat, that shows what liars you soothsayers are and that you work with the Shayateen and May the curse of Allaah be upon you and all those who do what you do and May He put you in the hellfire. Then the Messenger tells his companions to be warned against such people.

That is the end of the ḥadīth. I wanted to know the authenticity of this narration considering what we've learned in Kitaab at-Tawḥīd class about going to soothsayeres and also after reading the Aḥadīth in the article titled "The World of Jinn (Spirits)" ::

The severity of going to a fortune-teller is such that the Prophet (ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam) said: "The prayer of one who approaches a fortune-teller and asks him about anything, will not be accepted for forty days or nights" {Reported by Muslim - Eng. Trans. Vol.4, p.1211, No.5540}

And:

"Whosoever approaches a fortune-teller and believes in what he says, has disbelieved in what was revealed to Muhammed"{Authentic - Reported by Ahmed}

www.troid.ca/index.php/new-and-basics/mo...orld-of-jinn-spirits

Jazaakallaahu Khayran

Wassalāmu 'alaykum wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuh

It is reported that Abu al-Dardaa(may allaah be pleased with him) said: "You will never be pious (a person of taqwa)until you become knowledgeable, and you will never be beautiful with your knowledge until you act (by it)." [Ibn 'Abd al-Barr, Jami' Bayaan al-'Ilm wa Fadihi']

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago #2308 by moosaa.richardson
Replied by moosaa.richardson on topic Did the Messenger Ever Go to a SoothSayer?
wa 'alaykis-salāmu wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuh.

Please ask the one you heard it from for a reference. I don't know of such a ḥadīth. If the person who relayed the ḥadīth does not know of a source, then convey my salāms to them and forbid them from narrating what they do not know its authenticity or source from the Messenger of Allaah (ṣallallāhu 'alayhe wa sallam).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: moosaa.richardson
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds

RT @abu_sufyaan: Benefit from today’s Adab al-Mufrad lesson @troidorg Allah’s Messenger (ﷺ) said: “Your Lord, the Blessed and Most High, is…

troid.org troid.org